Since I created my first prototype of SysLat, I've grown a lot as a developer and the device has undergone many changes. Even though I created the device 2 years ago(and other similar devices have existed previously), this device has gone through many more iterations in the past ~3 months than it had previously. Here's a brief history of the device so far:
08-2018: Had to hold the device to the screen... did not yet function in any games:
09-2018: After way too much reading and a severe lack of progress I finally got it to work in a game! ...but the method I used to hook the graphics engine caused it to act as an in-game light-source.
06-2020 After abandoning the project for almost 2 years, I come back to it and make it operate with RTSS handling all of the graphics hooking and overlay drawing(I also discover velcro at this time):
07-2020: The software now has an interface!
08-2020: HenMill(Electrical Engineer) joins the project and creates his own. He uses an "Itsy-Bitsy" instead of an Arduino, drops the LCD, and teaches me that digital is faster than analog(I KNOW, I KNOW - I SHOULD ALREADY KNOW THAT):
Also, he doesn't want to use velcro(that's a jury-rigged clothes-hanger holding the light sensor):
11-2020: Prototype 3 is nearing completion. I've put as much time as I could muster into(with much help from BField):
And HenMill has packaged up the hardware into a beautiful 3d printed case! Soon there will be no more breadboards hanging from our monitors!